Friday, March 18, 2011

Feb. 3, 2011--Welcome Connor Aiden Marchbank!

 The birth story:
On Feb. 2, my day was filled with Dr. appointments. That morning, I had an appointment with my family practice doctor. to get antibiotics for an ear and chest infection. Then that afternoon, my OBGYN appointment to see when our second son was coming.


At my appointment, she informed me I was already 4 cm dilated and 30% effaced. As with Jared, she said she thought I would deliver within the next 48 hours (she was right with Jared) and to go to the hospital when I was having regular contractions 7 minutes apart for one hour. She said second babies are born quicker and the labor can feel different (which it was)!
An hour later, my contractions we 15 minutes apart. My mom was off work that day and came over to my house. We went to Bed Bath and Beyond so I could walk around for a little bit, but my contractions started picking up so we picked up Jerry from home, then picked up Jared from preschool and went to Wahoo's for dinner. I was having contractions 3-5 minutes apart (not painful) the whole time at dinner. My mom wanted us to go to the hospital right from there but I wanted to go home first (I think she was nervous that I wouldn't make it to the hospital)!

On the way home, I called the on-call Dr. and she told me to wait 20 more minutes and if my contractions were still regular, to come to the hospital. Indeed they were so we headed to the hospital and arrived around 7:30 p.m. I still hadn't had one painful contraction but they were very close together!


Because I was already 4 cm, they checked me into the hospital and monitored me. My water still had not broke so they called in the laborist to break by water. This is when the painful contractions started. After he broke my water, I was in SOOOO MUCH pain and asked my mom and Jerry to call to get me the epidural ASAP! It was in by around 10:30 p.m. and I had only progressed to a 5! I was so mad--I went through all that pain for 1 small cm!!! Luckily, once my epidural was in place, I progressed very quickly. They checked me a little after 1 a.m. and I was at a 10 and ready to push. They called the on-call Dr. to come to deliver me and she was on her way--except Connor decided he wanted to come out NOW! As soon as they turned my on my back to prep me to start pushing, he literally fell out! They nurse called the laborist to come deliver me ASAP as the Dr. still wasn't there and he was coming without me pushing at all! The laborist came in and then right behind him, the on-call doctor. She didn't even have time to put on any protective (or sterilized) gear except for gloves. She put on gloves and out he went with not one push!

Checking his vitals


7 lb. 4 oz.

Eyes open for the first time

On February 3, 2011, at 1:39 a.m., we welcomed our second son, Connor Aiden Marchbank into this world. He was born 11 days early (same as Jared), weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. (same as Jared) and was 19.5 inches long (Jared was 20 inches but had a cone head). 

This is Connor



This is Jared at about the same age as Connor

Jared visiting us at the hospital watching Connor get his first bath!


The Marchbanks as a family of 4

My two son's and I

 Stay tuned for more pictures as a family of 4 and Connor's newborn photo shoot.




No comments:

Post a Comment